Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Chinese Braised Pork Ribs and Pickled Cucumber

One of the highlights of my day is to wind down while cooking dinner. I spend my commute home trying to remember what is left in the fridge and figure how to combine them into something that is dinner worthy. Sometimes, the combinations are pretty average but, every once in a while, the stars align and the result is something worth sharing.



My Chinese Braised Pork is something I'm reasonable proud of as it wowed both Jason and our flatmate, John Dory. Because of its ability to save me a lot of time, the pressure cooker my parents gifted me is fast becoming a favourite. Unlike traditional braising methods, you don't have to wait hours for delicious, melt-in-your-mouth meat. It's a kitchen item that I would recommend to anyone in a heartbeat!



Paired with the pickled cucumber and a bowl of hot steamed rice, it is a delicious meal that won't take too much time out of your day. 

Tell me, dear reader, what is your favourite kitchen tool and what is your go-to quick dinner meal?

Chinese Braised Pork Ribs and Pickled Cucumber
A Lucyeats original




Ingredients:

Braised Pork:

2 Tbs vegetable oil
750g thick cut short ribs
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
2 star anise
1 stick cinnamon, roughly broken up
10 whole black peppercorns
1 Tbs crushed rock sugar
1 Tbs rice vinegar
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 cups water

Pickled Cucumber:
1 tele cucumber, sliced or diced into bite sized pieces
2 1/2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 medium sized fresh red chili

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and sear the ribs on all sides. Do this in batches, if required. Remove the ribs to a separate bowl.
2. Add Shaoxing wine to de-glaze the bottom of the pot. Use a spatula to remove any bits stuck to the bottom.
3. Return the pork and add the remaining ingredients. 
4. Lock the lid to the pressure cooker and cook on high until pressure is reached.
5. Turn the heat to low and cooker for a further 20 minutes.
6. Make your pickled cucumber by combining all the pickled cucumber ingredients together and chill in the fridge while you wait for your pork to cook.


6 comments:

  1. Dear Lucy,

    I love the flavours of this dish and I am a fan of Dan Hong's recipe that uses julienne green apples.

    http://chopinandmysaucepan.com/mr-wong-sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum this sounds good. I love Chinese style dishes. And a pressure cooker sounds amazing! Better than a slow cooker you reckon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both have their place, but I prefer the pressure cooker more purely based on the amount of time it saves! The only downside is that you can't open it up to check on your food while it's cooking..

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love dishes like this Lucy!! I can even smell it from here because my mum makes something similar and it is fiendishly good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your recipe Lucy. I do the pork short ribs in a much richer sauce and I think yours is perfect and more appropriate for summer. Plus this pickled cucumber concoction is amazing. Consider it cut and pasted to be cooked at home this week. Fantastic recipe and photographs, very nice :D x

    ReplyDelete