Friday, July 22, 2011

Dense Chocolate Cupcakes

I was originally going to include this recipe with the time I made themed cupcakes for Jason's 21st but then decided that they were so spectacular that they deserved their own post. The recipe is actually a modified version of Nigella Lawson's "Desnse Chocolate Loaf Cake" designed to make 12.

Here is a PvZ themed cupcake
I wanted to make something truly special for the chocolate lover but also something that would please his 50 other guests so I turned to the best. I make it sound like a hard task, but all of them are actually quite easy to please.. 
I also added chocolate chips because they are yummy and you can't stop me!
These are actually the best cupcakes I've ever made and the best thing is, they're really easy to make! If you want non-stop compliments, this is the recipe to use -I tripled the recipe to cater for the party and it still wasn't enough! I now have friends making up events just so they can have another taste of these delicious cupcakes.

Next steps: cook and then eat
This is kind of short because I was going to include these in another post. But they really deserve to have this all to themselves. Go and make these when you next have time to spare. Please. I implore you. MAKE time for these. And then maybe invite me over for tea.

Dense Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 12)
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's recipe for Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake



Ingredients:
110g unsalted butter
200g dark brown sugar (or muscovado)
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted
100g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
125ml boiling water
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Cream the butter and sugar 
3. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating in as well
4. Next, fold in the melted chocolate, taking care to blend well but being careful not to overbeat
5. Sift the flour and bicarb in a seperate bowl
6. Add the flour/bicarb into the mixture alternatively with the boiling water until you have a smooth batter
7. Add your chocolate chips and fold through
8. Line your cupcake pan with cute cases and fill
9. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
10. Cool and ice (see below for the cream cheese icing that I used)

Cream Cheese Icing (my favourite kind)  



Ingredients:
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbs butter, softened (I cannot stress how important that your butter is softened, it's absolutely horrible when it doesn't combine properly and you end up with lumps of butter. Gross.)

Method:
1. Beat the butter and cream cheese together until nice and smooth 
2. Slowly add the icing sugar and mix until well combined
3. Feel free to add a little bit of lemon rind 

6 comments:

  1. These look great Lucy! And I love cream cheese icing too. Have you tried Nigella's chocolate sour cream icing? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!!! Love cupcakes :-)

    ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better than cream cheese icing! Your cupcakes are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an electrifying green! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh lovely, and of course you can come for tea next time you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowww the cake part sounds reallly delicious!! Never tried Nigella's recipes--but would you say most of them are really good? :)

    ReplyDelete