Friday, March 25, 2011

Best. Noodles. Ever.

"Best. Noodles. Ever." says Jason in a creepy voice. The type emitted from one who was once starving but has now been satisfied.

Can you believe it only took me about 15 minutes to make?






A few minutes down the road from my house is one of my favourite fast food stores, Noodle Canteen. It basically a "Subway-esque" noodle bar where you can pick your own ingredients and watch them cook your meal up right in front of you! As well as being quick and delicious, Noodle Canteen also provies enormous portions -one "meal" can feed both Jason and I or last two meals for me alone.

Spicy Teriyaki Sauce -$2.80, Black Pepper, Courgette -$0.50, Carrot -$0.20, Hokkien Noodles -$2.47, 1/2 Celery -$1.49, Chicken Mince -$3.00, Olive Oil, Sesame Oil. Total = $10.46
Keeping in theme with the cheap and easy lunches of the "Crap! I can't really afford Noodle Canteen and feeling very lazy right now" variety, we decided to make some stir-fry noodles of our own this Sunday. It's deceptively easy. Or deceptively hard? This phrase always confuses me..

..Lets just say it's really easy. Because it is.

Strips of veggies, chopped up celery (1/4) and crushed garlic
I had the idea to make stir fried noodles when I saw Hokkien Noodles on sale at my local Asian supermarket. Usually going for $5.00 per packet, I was surprised when I saw a big 1kg bag for $2.47! I know it's kind of weird to make such a big deal about something as basic as noodles, but you would understand if you've ever tasted the eggy goodness. I quickly bought a couple of bags to freeze (don't worry, I looked at the expiry date).

Kikkomans Spicy Teriyaki is really enhances all the flavours
 Here's another plea to my poor student friends who are flatting: please stop eating baked beans and toast. Give this a try! Keep in mind I only used half a packet of noodles and less than half of the celery and chicken mince so you can have it the next day!


Best. Noodles. Ever. (Serves 4)
(An original Lucyeats recipe) 


Ingredients:


500g Hokkien Noodles
250g Chicken Mince
1 medium carrot, cut into strips
1 medium courgette, cut into strips
1/4 celery, chopped
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Olive Oil for frying
Sesame Oil to taste
Kikkomans Spicy Teriyaki Sauce


Method:

1. Soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water to separate and drain.
2. Heat some oil in a pan and add the garlic.
3. Once fragrant, add the chicken mince and cook through.
4. Add vegetables and add water. Cover to steam.
5. Once the water has almost evaporated, add teriyaki sauce, sesame oil and noodles and stir to mix through.
6. Season to taste.
7. Um.. that's basically it.

See how easy it is?

Note: All the ingredients amount to the price of one box of noodles from Noodle Canteen. Except that it yields about 4 containers. Take that, fast food!

All recipes are on Petitchef

2 comments:

  1. I get really excited about purchases like that too :P I always can't wait to tell my husband about it hehe

    BTW I'm in NZ now and enjoying my time here immensely! :D

    ReplyDelete